I’m sure everyone already knows about this. I’m pretty sure I already knew about it but had just pushed it out of my brain until the other week when we were visiting a friend of Jon’s. While we stood in his kitchen chatting about winterizing our bee hives he made us (ok, me) a bag of popcorn in the microwave using nothing more than some kernels and a brown paper lunch bag. Brilliant!
I love popcorn so I’m amazed that it had actually taken a few weeks before I tried this method at home for myself. I do have an ancient air popper that I use when I want healthy popcorn (when it’s a treat, like caramel corn, I use the stove top method) but it is very loud and tends to get popcorn everywhere. Tonight I simply put popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag (I keep them on hand for going out to the movies so Jon and I can split our movie popcorn) and popped it in the microwave. Less than 3 minutes later I had delicious, fluffy popcorn with zero mess! This will join 2 Minute Mug Brownies as one of my “meet my cravings NOW!” recipes. It was the perfect snack will I worked away at the huge pile of marking I have.
Popcorn in a Brown Paper Bag
1. Put 1/3 cup of kernels in a brown paper bag
2. (Optional) Drop in a small (1-2 tbsp) chunk of butter if you want buttered popcorn. It also works without.
2. Put in the microwave. Set the timer for 3 minutes. Microwave until you get a 5 second break between pops. For me this was about 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
3. Open the bag – you can eat right of your brown bag if you haven’t added butter (it’s messy if you did add butter)
4. Or you can pour into a bowl and top with Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (or something different if you don’t like spicy popcorn).