Last summer we installed a pet waste composter in the backyard. Here’s a little update on how things are going.
What’s Working Well:
- Structurally it survived the winter – no cracking of the can or major slumping inside
- The lid stays on
- The level inside hasn’t gone up so it must be composting
- There isn’t (much of) a smell – only if you lift the lid and take a deep breath can you smell anything
- Cat litter seems to compost just fine
What Needs Improvement:
- As you can see from the photo, it still looks like we just left a lid lying on the yard. I need to pretty it up.
- Our commitment to using it. I still haven’t found dog bags that can be just tossed in there so I probably use it less than I could be because I have to cut the bags open and dump in the contents. Patches also does most of his “business” while we’re out walking so often it doesn’t make it home with us (running with a dog bag is awkward so I tend to dump them as soon as I find a trash can). I am continuing to look for bags but it seems they aren’t very popular because true composting bags tend to disintegrate in your pocket.
So overall, more good stuff happening than bad!