The New Mailbox

I’m not sure how Jonny feels about me doing home repairs while he’s away (either terrified of what I’m up to or thrilled that I’m actually doing something) but I decided to tackle the task of replacing our mail box while he was out of the house. I was so excited to do anything other than school work that putting up a new mail box was my reward for finishing (almost) the last of my school assignments.

I know it doesn’t sound that exciting but if you’ve ever seen our current mail box you’d understand why –

Yes, our current mail box is simply a hole cut in the door and covered by a metal flap that doesn’t meet around the edges. I’m not sure who thought of this brilliant idea but it doesn’t work great for either getting mail or keeping heat in our house. We’d already identified this as something that needed fixing – you can see daylight through the mail slot and feel the cold air rushing in – but for the past 3 years just haven’t got around to it. 

I decided to start my project by building the pieces to cover up the old mail box because I wanted to paint the pieces (and drying takes time). This was a little terrifying for me because I knew I’d have to cut the wood and I never use the power saws. Luckily I found a very nice piece of plywood that was the right width and just needed cutting to length. A few quick cuts with the miter saw and I was done with that part. I’d used the sander before so I felt comfortable rounding and smoothing the edges of my covers. Then it was just painting, something that I’m totally comfortable with.

While the paint was drying, I headed out to buy the new mail box. It was amazingly easy to install once I got it home and took me about 5 minutes to mount on the house. Then another minute to stick on a “No Junk Mail” sticker and I was done.

After that it was another coat of paint on my wooden covers, another hour of drying time and I was ready to install my mail slot cover. The old mail slot pieces came out really easily and then it was quick work to screw one cover on the outside.

I stuffed the hole with insulation and screwed my other wooden cover on the inside. Done!

I’m not sure why we put off doing this so long – it took me a total of about 3.5 hours (including time to wait for paint to dry) and cost $45. I doubt it will mean $45 in energy savings (I still need to weather strip the door) but I think it looks just a tiny bit better!

One Comment

  1. You might want to run a bead of exterior grade silicone caulking around the edges of your covers Jen. otherwise air leakage will have moisture building up in the insulation you put in and mold. formation. you can get a small tube from your local grocery store. Great Job by the way!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *