It’s that time of the year again and because it’s 2011 I thought I should have 11 goals for the year (I hope I actually get more than 11 things accomplished though!). I selected these from my much bigger goal list and then tried to make them measurable and less vague than my goals usually are. After writing them out I think it might be a bit ambitious but we’ll see how it goes. In no particular order here are the things I’d like to do this year:
1. Run a (nother) marathon – Even though I am already dreading those 20 mile training runs I’d like to do another one. The first one was really about finishing a marathon, but I’d like to see if I can do another one (maybe a little bit faster?). The training plan is already up on the fridge.
2. Take 5 photos a week for the whole year – one of my bigger goals is to become a better photographer, I’m hoping that by taking more photos I’ll have more chances to work on this. Also, I’m terrible at photographing the “every day moments” and I’d like to capture them more often. One photo a day is a lot of pressure but I thought I could accomplish it 5 times a week.
3. Stop biting my nails – this one has been on my list forever but this year is going to be the year! I want pretty painted nails for the summer.
4. Go on one canoe trip, one backpacking trip, one road trip and one camping trip in 2011 – usually this would be a given but since last year we didn’t get all four I figured I should make it a goal. This summer will be harder to plan than previous years but I’m hoping we’ll get a few fun summer adventures in.
5. Try something new once a month – this can be as simple as a walk at a new dog park, or a meal at a new restaurant.
6. Take a photograph of the night sky – I’d like to take one of those photos of the swirling stars. Jonny gave me a remote control for the camera last Christmas so all I need is a clear night, my tripod and some practice.
7. Go on a picnic for picnic sake – I haven’t been on a picnic in forever. This year we’re going to spend a summer afternoon either at the river or the lake reading books, eating crackers, cheese and pickles and playing fetch with the dog. We’ll have home-made iced tea and chocolate chip cookies.
8. Get my grocery budget to $75/week – this one will be tough, but I’ll work on meal planning and seasonal shopping.
9. Cook one meal a week as a family – I love to cook but some nights it can really be a chore. I’m hoping that cooking together more often will make it into a fun together time. We can try a few new recipes and just hang out.
10. Bike/walk/bus more, drive less – ideally we would walk/bike/bus more than we drive. Work, the library and the grocery store are all easy commutes by bike that we should be doing more often.
11. Increase my backyard food production – we’ve got some plans for our garden this year including expanding the types of vegetables we grow and putting in new spaces to grow vegetables. This will be another chance for Jonny and I to spend time together that isn’t us on the couch with our various computer toys and will guarantee the pets some outdoor time almost every night of the summer.